Valerie Goes to Thailand

Monday 18 October 2010

Forever Bound to Community: Scenes from My Last String Tying Ceremonies

From Na Bpong School



All my students lined up to give me strings



with the village elders

From Thai Samakee School






I had at least a hundred after the week was over!

It was definitely hard to hold back the tears as each and everyone of my students, teachers, and community elders tied a string around my wrists. I cried anyway, the tears just came rushing forth as I felt the presence of grace and warmth envelop the room, encouraged by the physical links of hands, arms, elbows, and shoulders. (Traditionally, this string tying ceremony encourages the physical contact to emphasize the interconnection of the community: welcome to the human network!) As the students lined up, preparing to tie their strings, so did lines of memory rush forth, conjuring ordinary yet special impressions of my teaching life. When I think about the meaning, significance, and magnitude of this single act of well-wishing, I am so deeply touched of how the local community embraced me as part of their family in the past year. While the strings may be gone now, I will always feel their presence, a reminder of home in a distant land, and that ever-persistent tug to return.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Watch my WAKA WAKA WorldTeach Thailand Video