Valerie Goes to Thailand

Monday 13 September 2010

Ahan Thai: An Epicure's Conclusions

Now that I have spent nearly an entire year dining on local Thai cuisine every day, I feel that I can declare a sound judgment (backed by meals and meals of evidence) on the dishes that make my heart beat a little faster upon sight. Without further ado, here are my most favorite Thai dishes... ever.

Som Tam
Tam papaya, pok pok! It is very nice! Eat with sticky rice! 
These are lines from a song I sing with my students ever since we covered the vegetables and fruits units. Som tam is traditionally made with shredded papaya, garlic, lots of chilis, tomatoes, and limes pounded in a mortal and pestle duo. Depending on the region, this national favorite is tinkered to satisfy the locals partialities. Tam Isaan/ Laos adds more fish sauce than usual, and other accoutrements such as crabs and small fishes. I've even seen snails tossed in as well. My favorite Tam is more of the Thai variety, less salty and with peanuts and green beans.


Laap Nua

Another Isan dish makes it into my select favorites. When I ask my students what they are making for lunch, I can tell when we're eating laap because they are usually very happy. Laap, from what I gather means minced meat. There are other varieties made with fish, pork, or chicken, but I root for the beef. The ground beef is minced and stir fried with chili peppers, basil, garlic, mint leaves, sauces of the yet unknown but highly approved sort. Usually accompanied by fresh long beans and sticky rice, Laap is the perfect meal on a blazing hot, sultry day.



Guway Tiyaw Nua
On cool rainy days, I usually enjoy sitting at a hole-in-the-wall restaurant that will only make one perfect dish: guway tiyaw. Like many Thai dishes, there are many permutations on the recipe (from various meats to noodle sizes and kinds), but I love eating this yummy noodle soup with sen lek (big noodles) and with nua (beef). The restaurants specializing in this dish let the broth simmer all day to achieve the optimum flavor. Condiments include vinegar, dried chili flakes, sugar, fish sauce, and sweet chili sauce. It's kind of the Thai equivalent of customizing your favorite coffee at Starbucks.. but way better.



Khana Moo Gop

Khana Moo Gop has to be my go-to stir fried dish in Thailand. In my first few months here, I mourned and was nostalgic for my broccoli and spinach, but quickly forgot this silliness when I discovered the availability and ubiquity of chinese kale! It's like broccoli and spinach decided to get married and had the best looking children of all in the kingdom of greens. Sweet and crunchy, this kale (khana) is tantalizing when stir fried with crispy pork and fresh chilis in oyster sauce. Aroy mak mak! (Very delicious!)




Tom Yum Koong
Without fail, Tom Yum Goong makes my tastebuds dance. Seeing the dish has a very strange Pavlov effect on me. Tom Yum is a hot and sour soup, comprised of lemon grass, ginger, kaffir lime leaves, chilis, tomatoes, mushrooms, onions and garlic in broth (note: the first three ingredients in the list are not to be eaten. I learned this from experience). Tom yum comes with fish, squid, or shrimp, but I definitely like the shrimp best, especially if caught right when I placed the order (oh yes, this happens in Thailand). I almost have it every day for lunch at one of my schools and tom yum has yet to disappoint me. Tom yum deserves its name indeed, for it is definitely a yummy piece of dish.

I can definitely empathize with Elizabeth Gilbert and her particular chapter in Italy on Eat, Pray, Love. I graduated from college with a lot of weight lost into my thesis, and I also went through a lot of heavy emotional challenges at the beginning of my service. Hence, I was much thinner than I was now, but thanks to the incredible tastes of Thailand, I have grown to be a more sated, healthier person. My tastebuds have not only been invigorated (sometimes to the point of nearly scalding my tongue from an offending piece of chili), but my thirst for life and experience has expanded and deepened. Cheers to that!

2 comments:

  1. "It's like broccoli and spinach decided to get married and had the best looking children of all in the kingdom of greens."-Could not have summed this up better-awesome. And my mouth was watering as I read this, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, yes I wrote this right after dinner and was sadly enduring hunger pangs again! eep!

    ReplyDelete

Watch my WAKA WAKA WorldTeach Thailand Video