Valerie Goes to Thailand

Thursday 25 March 2010

An Unorthodox End of the Semester

Packing can be so so daunting, especially when your entire needs are going to need to fit into a bag or two. In order to avoid another existential crisis, I'm taking a break by posting this entry, an account of my recent culinary rendezvous with a local delicacy: fried cicadas.

MMhm. You heard me right. I figure since I've been persuaded to eat crickets and red ant eggs, what's another invertebrate, right? So after almost a semester of goading, I finally gave in to my teachers' (and my students' ) challenge.

I know this picture is off-topic, but it was the school's last day! Had to take some silly pictures with the students.

Here, today's adventure begins. A venture to the forest (still part of the school grounds) in search of the visually inconspicuous yet easily audible fast food.

Here's what them little buggers look like. Kind of cute actually, looks like they have a koala nose.

Yes, that's me, holding a 15 foot long bamboo pole, with something really sticky attached to the end. This apparatus is actually quite efficient. All you have to do, is gently tap the cicada and the hunt is done.

You see that little speck at the end of the stick? There's my dessert.

It took Trisha several attempts in order to hold it. They are a lot bigger than you can imagine and they flap their wings like nobody's business.

Clipping their wings so they can't get away... This really is quite the process.

And off they go to the frying pan! Add some grease, MSG, and voila..

Chim-doo, chim-doo (taste taste!)

Crunchy, yet satisfying. Dare I say an adequate substitute to curly fries (with protein too!)?

Alright, this blog entry will be it for a while. I am off to my travels tomorrow (spanning Northern Thailand, and then the southern islands) and won't dare go near a computer. See you all, and wish me safe travels!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Watch my WAKA WAKA WorldTeach Thailand Video