Valerie Goes to Thailand

Tuesday 19 January 2010

Bizarre Thailand Post #1

Because I've been so unreligious in terms of updates, I will conduct them in a series of three. A trilogy of bizarre Thailand happenings of late.

Number 1. I communicate with water buffalos now.
After my a sleepless night due to a neighbor's water buffalo 12-hour birthing, (conveniently during my slumber hours), I believe that I've established a newfound, heightened sensitivity towards them. For numerous hours of self-contemplation, of debating whether or not I will hate on buffalos forever or accept the event as nature's call, I decided that bearing witness to an animal's labor means that you have now entered a special relationship with them. Ergo, the capability to be a water buffalo whisperer.



This video was taken by my roommate on our epic bike ride to another volunteer's school. Her name is Kate and she is currently teaching high schoolers at Wang Ka Se. Trish and I rode through some awesome rice fields, two villages with bemused elders watching us go, and some pretty formidable hills. I only say formidable because our bikes do not have gears....

1 comment:

  1. I love that I have a friend who refers to herself as "a water buffalo whisperer." You should add that to your resume. And I can't wait to see you in action! This post will greatly increase my chances of spendind a weekend with you and Trish in the near future...

    ReplyDelete

Watch my WAKA WAKA WorldTeach Thailand Video