Valerie Goes to Thailand

Monday 19 July 2010

My Favorite Thai Tradition: String Tying


It's been two weeks since my mom arrived in Bangkok and greeted Thailand's hot, humid air out of the airport. I regret not having blogged about her visit much earlier, but things here have been so busy, and school lately has been exhausting. Needless to say, spending time with my mom at school and traveling with her has been a blast!

After our prolonged bus ride from Bangkok, my mom, Trish, and I arrived at Ban Thai Samakee travel weary. Unfortunately, we could not forgo attending school that day because (unbeknown to her at the time) I had arranged a surprise for my mom. My favorite Thai tradition happens to be the string tying ceremony, performed when a person is either arriving or leaving. It is a warm extension of hospitality and endless wishes of good fortune. During the beginning of my service, a particular string ceremony allayed by initial fears as a volunteer. I felt the incredible grace and hospitality of Thais extinguish my anxieties away. I wanted my mom to experience this ceremony, where strangers literally reach out for your hand in order to welcome you to their community.

So that Monday, around 4 pm, an hour later when the celebration was supposed to start, the person appointed to initiate the ceremony arrives (Thai-style) in his motorcycle and immediately everyone gathers around me, my mom and Trish. Teachers and directors from both of my schools and Trisha's schools attend and 15 minutes into the ceremony we are all kneeling, huddled close, and following the initiator's chants. Occasionally, breaks of humor ensued, keeping the atmosphere light-hearted and warm.

Then, one by one, all the teachers, directors and even students, accompanied by even more unfamiliar individuals, proceed to grab string from the ceremony's centerpiece (called Bai Si). My mom and I hold sticky rice and a boiled egg on one hand while each and everyone tie a string around our wrist and wish us welcome. By the end of the ceremony, our wrists are bound by perpetual luck (handsome husbands looming in our future! Dad: this must mean that you will age very gracefully) and hospitality. We are bound, by a generations-old cultural tradition, that makes our inextricable ties to each other tangible. I always feel a transcendent kind of energy whenever and wherever this practice is performed, whether it be in a temple, or spontaneously by a group of old, betel chewing women.

Here are some pictures from this wonderful event:




Following the culture's love for congregation and eating, we all feasted on delicious Thai food to close the day.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely. Thanks for making sure your mom and I will share a long happy life together.

    ReplyDelete

Watch my WAKA WAKA WorldTeach Thailand Video